Malaysian Qualification Agency: MQA A7123
Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia: KPT R2/725/6/0078
April, August and November
(Coming intake will be on 7th April 2021)
4 Years / 12 Semesters
Local student (HS406) – RM 53,000
International student (HS406) – RM 71,145
Medical laboratory technologist: Government / Private sector (HS407) – RM 41,150
* The policies, regulations, procedures and fees are subject to change without prior notice of the university.
HS406: Mr Ahmad Norasidi Mohd Raffie
HS407: Mdm Asma Harun
This program is designed to provide a vocationally oriented qualification, which will prepare graduates for employment in the diagnostic laboratory, medical research, biotechnology, biological manufacturing or the pharmaceutical industry.
The biomedical scientist also referred as clinical laboratory scientist is a healthcare professional who performs chemical, haematological, immunologic, histopathological, cytopathological, microscopic, bacteriological and molecular diagnostic analyses on body fluids such as blood, urine, tissues, sputum, stool, various types of fluid (cerebrospinal, peritoneal, pericardial, synovial fluid), as well as other specimens.
They work in clinical laboratories at hospitals, reference labs, biotechnology labs and non-clinical industrial labs.
During the last semester at UNISEL, the student will spend 16 weeks of Clinical Internship at an affiliate clinical laboratory. Students apply the skills and knowledge gained on campus to the day-to-day laboratory environment. A clinical instructor from the affiliated laboratory will be responsible for student learning.
At the end of this programme, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate and apply advanced level knowledge in biomedical science.
- Competently perform and supervise medical laboratory procedures; validate findings appropriately; and plan, manage and execute quality management systems and good laboratory practices (GLP).
- Demonstrate sensitivities and responsibilities towards the community, culture and environment.
- Adhere to the legal, ethical and professional code of conduct in biomedical sciences and practice according to biological, chemical and radiation safety requirements and regulations.
- Present information and findings coherently; effectively communicate verbally and in writing with patients, their family/caregiver, peers, healthcare professionals and the stakeholders at large; demonstrate leadership, interpersonal and social skills; as well as collaborate with other healthcare professionals.
- Evaluate and recommend new medical laboratory methodologies and instrumentation; seek, adapt and provide solutions to address challenges in biomedical science; utilize relevant techniques and identify problems and solutions based on critical and lateral thinking; as well as conduct research related to Medical Laboratory Science under supervision.
- Utilize computer technology and information management systems to enhance their practices; and apply lifelong learning skills and principles in academic and career development.
- Coordinate daily activities of the biomedical laboratory; apply broad business and real-world perspectives in the workplace and everyday activities; and demonstrate entrepreneurial skills in their practice.
Passed STPM/Matriculation/Pre-University programme with minimum GPA of 2.33 in TWO of the following subjects:
- Physics/ Mathematics
OR, A-Level with minimum Grade D in the following subjects:
- Physics/ Mathematics
OR, Related Diploma from recognized institutions with minimum CGPA of 2.75;
OR, Related Diploma from recognized institutions with CGPA below than 2.75 and a minimum of THREE (3) years working experience in the same field.
AND, MUET* Band 3.
*Exemption of MUET is given to candidates who hold a diploma or foundation that is conducted in English
International Student Candidates should have IELTS (5.5)/ TOEFL (550) paper-based or equivalence.
All courses are listed according to the first cohort (April intake of HS402). If you are interested to know for other cohorts (August and November intake), fell free to contact our coordinators.
YEAR 1 SEMESTER 1
- Technical English I
- Ethics and Law for Health Professional
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I
- Basic Biochemistry
- Basic Microbiology
- Principle of Laboratory Science
YEAR 1 SEMESTER 2
- Mandarin I / Japanese I / French I /Arabic I
- Technical English II
- Cell and Human Genetics
YEAR 1 SEMESTER 3
- U1A – TITAS
- Histology and Cytology
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- Laboratory Instrumentation
YEAR 2 SEMESTER 4
- U1B – Hubungan Etnik
- Introduction to Occupational Safety and Health
- Clinical Microbiology
- Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Applied Molecular Biology
YEAR 2 SEMESTER 5
- Mandarin II / Japanese II / French II /Arabic II
- U2 – Kemahiran Al-Quran 2 / U2 – Social Work Skills / U2 – Bahasa Kebangsaan A* (if not credit BM in SPM)
- Virology and Mycology
YEAR 2 SEMESTER 6
- U3 – Introduction to Malaysian Legal System / U3 – Dakwah Islam Di Malaysia
- Basic Hematology
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Research Methodology
YEAR 3 SEMESTER 7
- Diagnostic Cytology
- Transfusion Science and Blood Banking
- Clinical Haematology
- Advance Medical Diagnostic
- Medical Parasitology and Entomology
YEAR 3 SEMESTER 8
- U4 – Wellness & Healthy Lifestyle / U4 – Green Awareness and Sustainability in Community
- Public Speaking & Communicative Skills
YEAR 3 SEMESTER 9
- Research Project
- Scientific Communication
YEAR 4 SEMESTER 10
- Clinical Internship I
YEAR 4 SEMESTER 11
- Pollution and Prevention
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Laboratory Management
YEAR 4 SEMESTER 12
- Clinical Internship II
Graduates in Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Science are qualified to work in:
- Hospitals and private clinical laboratories
- Research (develops & test new methods)
- Public Health (state health labs, community health projects, environmental testing, Peace Corps)
- Speciality Laboratories (forensics, fertility, veterinary)
- Biotechnology (product research/ development, data analysis, quality assurance)
- Sales and Marketing (biomedical supply, pharmaceutical companies)
- Laboratory Computer Systems
- Compliance Inspector
- Infection Control