Malaysian Qualification Agency: MQA/FA2859
Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia: KPT R/421/7/0013
January and July
Full-time: 2 – 3 Years
Part-time: 4 – 5 years
Local student – RM 14,000 & International student – RM 28,000
* The policies, regulations, procedures and fees are subject to change without prior notice of the university.
The program is proposed to support the MyBrain 15’s objective by serving as a feeder to the PhD programmes specifically in life sciences. Since the Malaysian government hopes to accelerate the transformation of Malaysia into a knowledge-based economy and an industrialized nation, this programme aims to generate postgraduates with innovative research skills and strong management entrepreneurship capabilities in life sciences. This is in line with the government’s effort to generate a highly-knowledgeable human capital that will meet the growing needs in the academic world as well as in the life science-based industries. This can serve as a catalyst to research and innovation, which in turn will accelerate economic growth.
Life sciences field is very well developed and vast. It contains a number of topics and disciplines. Among the most interesting subjects that push the borders of knowledge to the most exciting points, as they apply the latest inventions and achievements of the scientific world, are health sciences, genetics, ecology, immunology, microbiology, biomedical engineering, biotechnology, food technology, molecular medicine, biopharmaceutical and so on.
These branches of biology are standing on the verge of making breakthrough discoveries almost every day, and you can be part of it with a Master of Life Science degree. Biology deals with perhaps the greatest wonders present on earth today, from microscopic germs to elephants, as well as studies the history of life, tracing it billions of years back in time. There are plenty of career opportunities in the private sector, academic institutions, and research facilities, for graduates holding a Master in Life Sciences degree.
- Environmental Health / Science
- Molecular Biomedicine
- Clinical Biochemistry/ Immunology/ Parasitology / Microbiology
- Medical Biotechnology
At the end of this programme, students should be able to:
- Explain apply fundamental issues on various topics in life sciences
- Plan and conduct a research project and evaluate outcomes
- Apply rational processes to critically analyse issues in science and generate innovative solutions
- Locate, extract and critically appraise relevant evidence and information from a range of resources (and apply to practice)
- Relate the significance of science to the public and scientific community using effective written and verbal communication skills
- Effectively utilise new and existing biotechnology at an advanced level
- Demonstrate self-directed learning and professional development
- Recognise international issues relevant to biotechnology and develop appropriate strategies
- A bachelor’s degree (Level 6, MQF) in Science from Universiti Selangor or any other Institution of Higher Learning recognized by the University Senate with CGPA of 2.75 and above, or
- A bachelor’s degree (Level 6, MQF) in Science or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.5 and not meeting CGPA of 2.75, can be accepted to rigorous internal assessment, or
- A bachelor’s degree (Level 6, MQF) in Science or equivalent not meeting CGPA of 2.50, can be accepted subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in the relevant field.
Will be updated soon
- Hospitals and private clinical laboratories
- Research (develops & test new methods)
- Public Health (state health labs, community health projects, environmental testing, Peace Corps)
- Specialty Laboratories (forensics, fertility, veterinary)
- Biotechnology (product research/ development, data analysis, quality assurance)
- Sales and Marketing (biomedical supply, pharmaceutical companies)
- Laboratory Computer Systems
- Compliance Inspector
- Infection Control